Gamma Iota Sigma (GIS) is a professional risk management, insurance, and actuarial science fraternity that is open to students of all majors who are interested in risk management and insurance careers. GIS membership provides access to scholarship opportunities, internship and job opportunities, and opportunities for travel to and networking at industry conferences.
The first meeting of GIS for the Fall 2014 semester is scheduled for Tuesday, September 9 in Cashion 306 from 5-6 p.m. Current GIS members and prospective members are invited to attend. Topics that will be covered include 1) an introduction to GIS and its benefits, 2) upcoming fall 2014 conference and scholarship opportunities, and 3) discussion of the fall meeting schedule for GIS.
For more information, contact the GIS president Elise Kappelmann at Elise_Kappelmann@baylor.edu.
For the benefit of members and friends of Baylor’s Alpha Pi chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma, a website is maintained and regularly updated at https://gisbaylor.wordpress.com.
There are five online strategies for keeping up-to-date with Baylor’s Alpha Pi chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma:
- Regularly visit the website at https://gisbaylor.wordpress.com.
- If you have a Facebook account, you can “like” the Facebook page for Baylor’s Alpha Pi chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma.
- If you have your own Twitter account, you can “follow” @gisbaylor; whenever new information is posted on the website for Baylor’s Alpha Pi chapter of Gamma Iota Sigma, it is automatically included as part of the @gisbaylor Twitter feed. You can also access the @gisbaylor Twitter page by going to http://twitter.com/gisbaylor.
- If you are familiar with RSS, you can subscribe to the RSS feed for Baylor’s Alpha Pi chapter of Gamma Iota by using Firefox’s Live Bookmarks feature, Internet Explorer’s RSS feed subscription feature, or RSS reader software.
- Subscribe via email: Go to https://gisbaylor.wordpress.com and enter your email address in the form provided on the right hand side of that webpage: fill in the email address field located on the left-hand side of this page with your email address and click the “Sign me up!” button:
After clicking the “Sign me up!” button, check for an email from “donotreply”:
Next, simply click the “Confirm Follow” button. This will take you to a webpage that looks like this:
||National Association of
Professional Surplus Lines
|4131 N. Mulberry Dr., Ste. 200
Kansas City, MO 64116
To Whom It May Concern:
The National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices (NAPSLO) would like to announce that applications for the 2015 NAPSLO Summer Internship Program will be accepted now through October 15, 2014. Please take note of this date; it is two months earlier than years past.
This program offers participants a comprehensive view of the surplus lines insurance industry by assigning them to spend time with both a surplus lines carrier and a surplus lines broker firm throughout the summer.
The NAPSLO Internship Program runs for nine weeks in the summer with the dates varying somewhat depending on intern and host schedules. Five weeks are spent with a carrier firm; four weeks are spent with a broker. Hosts pay each intern an $18/hour salary while NAPSLO will assist in arranging housing and transportation, will pay a stipend to the intern and provides reimbursement for travel-related expenses.
The committee anticipates selecting approximately 15 interns this year, and will place selected participants with member companies in a wide variety of U.S. cities including New York, Phoenix, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Kansas City. Many NAPSLO members view this program as critical to their efforts to recruit and retain the next generation of surplus lines professionals, and interns are often offered positions with their hosts before completing the summer.
Interns who successfully complete the program are eligible for further engagement with NAPSLO, including an expenses-paid opportunity to attend the year’s NAPSLO Annual Convention to meet with and observe industry leaders working with one another at the surplus lines industry’s premier convention. Those attending the Convention will be interviewed by NAPSLO for additional scholarship opportunities in London and Bermuda.
To apply, please fill out the justin. Two letters of recommendation are required, and should be e-mailed from the author (preferably from an e-mail address assigned to a business or university).
We hope that you will share this e-mail with your professors and students, as we believe this is a unique opportunity for students interested in the surplus lines industry. The program began with just two interns in 1981 and has grown steadily in size and prestige since its inception. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the program in general, the application process or NAPSLO’s career awareness efforts.
P: 816 – 799 – 0858